Is it ok thta I don't see my day olds drinking?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karri25, Jun 7, 2007.

1. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have tipped their beaks in the water at least three times today. I have not seen them drink once! Is this normal or should I be worried???? Otherwise they seem fine, and are adorable!!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Hmmm,
    How long do you watch them for at a time? Are they pooping? If their pooping then chances are that they are drinking when your not watching. Try to watch them for a little longer and you may catch them. At a day old, they should start drinking soon.
    Kristyne

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Baby chicks don't need anything at all to sustain them for up to three days. The yolk sac that was just absorbed prior to hatching is all they need. They usually don't get interested in the drinker till the second or the third day. Mine have not been very interested in food either. They like to peck at toes tho.

4. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks so much. They are pooping, pecking, and as of this morning I saw them drinking! I am just so afraid that I'm going to do something to harm them. They are so cute and I can't wait until I feel as though I am passed having to be afraid that they are going to perish at any point.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Kari, we all know how you feel. It does get easier. They are amazing little creatures and their instincts are amazing. when they are around 3-4 weeks old let them have about 10-15 minutes of play time outside. What a joy to watch. Enjoy your babies they are very special

6. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I can't wait to see them outside?!?!?!? They are sooo cute:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by