Is it ok to bring chickens in and out of cold weather ? Chicken opening her mouth and panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennifer1983, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Jennifer1983

Jennifer1983 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    I just moved my chicks that were born November 21st outside to a coop with a heat lamp - They seem to be doing great but I did notice that when we bring one in our house ( our chickens love to cuddle or should I say I love to cuddle them ) that after about 20 minutes or so they will start to pant with there mouths open like a dog. They do not do this constantly only when brought inside for a while. So should I not be bringing them inside ? Is the change in temperature bad for them? I love to spend time with them but do not want to cause harm. This is our first time raising chickens . We incubated them and have hand raised them. I never thought I would have chickens but this has been an awesome experience for my family and I don't want to endanger the birds. I've not been able to find any information about this and hope you can help.

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Hmmmm....I don't know. How cold is it outside?

I do know my hens do open their beaks (pant?) in the summer. So it could be possible that's what your chicks are doing.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's probably better to go visit them outside, and pet them or just sit in a chair out in the yard. My chickens always love when we hang around, and we love just watching their behaviour. Many times you can pick up hints about a possible injury, illness, or a bullying problem just spending a little time each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by