Is it ok to cross breed

I have 2 roosters and multiple hens of different breeds. Does it matter if they cross breed? How do you know what you end up with?
It's totally ok! And it's sometimes hard to know what you'll get, but research chicken generics... or ask on BYC! Chances are someone has crossed the breeds you wanna cross and can tell/show you what you'll end up with.

If you simply want more egg layers, it could be fun to see what you get! Kind of like a grab bag when you were a kid. Those were always exciting!
Let us know what you end up doing and please post pictures of the babies as well as pictures as they grow up.
What fun. :wee

:frow Welcome from New Orleans, I hope you enjoy it here.

The only reason not to, is if you want to sell them, you most likely won't get as good a price for them.
Apart from that, its a great thing to do, and one can get some really interesting colours.
unless you sell at an auction.
I still have not found out what breeds I have. I once bought 13 chickens at an auction. I have 2 of them now.

It's totally ok! And it's sometimes hard to know what you'll get, but research chicken generics... or ask on BYC! Chances are someone has crossed the breeds you wanna cross and can tell/show you what you'll end up with.
I can’t see a problem at all if your purpose is food. The eggs have the same nutritional value. We are going to breed our own to keep our flock free from any medications from big pharmaceutical cos. One could do select breeding by keeping the hen segregated until you get the amount of pure breed eggs then incubate or pray for a broody hen 🥚🐣🐔
I will be of no help on what the cross would be called, I find it difficult to follow the parentages and names.

Back
Top Bottom