is it ok to eat a soft shelled egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ratlummountain, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    just curious, i'd hate to waste 'em if they perfectly edible.

i've gotten 2 soft shelled eggs this week, they're kinda cool in an 'ewww' kind of way.

2. I don't know that I would...

Sort of seems like they would be very prone to becoming bacteria ridden with no shell to protect them. But I could be very wrong, so don't take my word for it.

Am I the only one who ever wonders how the chickens must react the first time they lay an egg?

*hens eyes get HUGE* "I think I gotta go, I think I gotta go, I think I gotta gooo to my nest, yes my nest, whooo hooo what DID I eat?! Wow! look at that big hard thing under me! Did I do that? How cool is that?!"

And then in comparison to think of how it must feel to lay a soft shelled egg after being used to laying regular eggs. Must feel bazzar!!!

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

LOL
    I've eaten some softshelled eggs..I just try to use them within a day or two of being laid.

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] Great, now I will think of that everytime I gather an egg! [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've eaten them no problem. I just wouldn't let it sit for very long before doing so. Usually that day. Haven't had one in a loooong time though. Oyster shell to the save! Didn't know to provide it on the side when I was 12 and had my first layers.

7. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I wont eat them. I am too worried about bacteria. But I do feed them to the dog.

8. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    mmmm... my girls are going thru a "soft" molt. they just lost feathers on their abdomen's and that's it. egg production has slowed down and then i got 2 soft shelled eggs.

but i do normally supply them with free choice oyster shell and I also mix oyster shell in with their feed ~ i don't have a rooster so i'm not worried about the wrong birds getting it.

in the future i shall eat them right away instead of letting them sit on the counter with my other normal eggs. thanks for the advice ya'll!

it amazes me that the muscles don't burst the soft shell as it's passing down the canal ...
    and i'm amazed that these wee bitty chickens can lay such huge eggs sometimes...

9. Chickenbaakbaak

Chickenbaakbaak New Egg

Jun 3, 2015
    We have eaten the soft shelled eggs regularly with no issues whatsoever. We just try to eat them within a few days or same day.

10. Chickenbaakbaak

Chickenbaakbaak New Egg

Jun 3, 2015
    We eat them with no problem whatsoever. We just try to eat them that day or within a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by