Is it ok to feed blueberries?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I looked at the toxic plants list and didn't see them there. My DH used to work in reptiles at the zoo and said that they never shared blueberries with the bird dept. because they were toxic to birds. Thanks!!

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Wow, I just bought some for my 4 5-week old RIR's. I haven't seen them eat them, but I keep giving the blueberries to the chicks everyday. I sure hope you get an answer. I thought the only fruit you should not give them was citrus.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

No blueberries are not toxic, but they have been added to the 12 most toxic list along with kale, because they are so heavily treated with pesticides.
    If they are not organic make sure to wash them before you eat them or any pet eats them.

Imp- you could skip in-laws though. [​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    We have wild huckleberry and some old cultivated blueberries. They have stripped all the low hanging branches, 1rst and 2nd picking sparce 3rd now almost gone. They love 'em.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My RIR so far like cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes. cow peas, bugs, & the coop. I let them out but they won't venture to far from the coop. Their a bunch of spoiled rotten chickens. I decided to get chickens instead of a dog. I like eggs.

6. farmerKEN

farmerKEN In the Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    if they are native blueberries then NO. they are too good to give away. if theyre chilean or californian then they are probably flavorless and okay for chickens.

ETA: I didnt see you are from california. I meant the ones from big farms in plastic containers at supermarkets

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have a big blueberry patch just off the corner of the chicken yard. When I'm picking down there the chickens line up along the fence waiting for me to toss insect or bird pecked berries over the fence--they even remember from year to year. I have a few that will take them out of my hand if I offer them. After the season I let them into the patch to clean up anything that is on the ground to make sure no pests overwinter. Never a problem other than having to watch they don't scratch under the bushes too much, blueberries are very shallow rooted.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:They're the only kind I've ever eaten myself so I guess the chickens and I don't know what we're missing [​IMG] I guess the fact that I'm willing to share them with the chickens supports the second part of your comment. [​IMG]

9. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    blueberries are just fine to give chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I wish that were true--birds are stripping my bushes clean faster than I can get at the ripe ones and I have over 100 bushes.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: