Is it ok to feed my young flock boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lois from KY, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Lois from KY

Lois from KY Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2012
    Owensboro, Ky.
    [​IMG] We bought 60 chicks from Murray McMurray this past March. Now that they're laying their little hearts outs we have an abundance of leftover eggs. With so many eggs and nothing to do with them. I've decided to feed them back to my flock. These eggs are between 3 and 4 weeks old. So they're still safe to eat. My question is this. How often would you think could I feed them these boiled eggs? I hardboil them and then slice them up. These chickens are free range and we feed them Nutrena Naturewise laying pellets. I know they're not lacking in anything nutritionally but can't stand to see these eggs thrown away. I appreciate any information you can give me.

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Hello!

You can feed them back to them. What I do is I boil the egg, and then completely mash it up with a fork. I sprinkle it all around the yard and they go crazy for it. The protein is good for them. I usually give my six chickens 1 egg a day, so i'd say you can feed your 60 chickens around 12-15 a day (or less if you want, as long as they don't fight over the yumminess!)

If you have any neighbors or close family members, you can always give some eggs to them, or you can get a permit and sell them at a farmers market or something.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, it's fine. When I had excess eggs, I would scramble them a dozen at a time, simply because it's easier than boiling them to me. The chickens won't care. You can even scramble them in a blender with the sheels and feed that to them; lots of folks feed eggshells as a calcium source.

4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely! It is a great little treat for them. You can also feed the eggshells back to them! I personally would boil them so you don't get any chickens trying to eat the eggs in the coop!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, a number of old time chicken keepers will feed their chckens raw eggs, especially when they find a yucky egg while collecting, which they break on the coop floor for the hens.. They will tell you this does not lead to egg eating. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows what does cause egg eating, but my suspicion is that it is generally due to either boredom or poor nutrition.

6. Lois from KY

Dec 22, 2012
    Owensboro, Ky.
    Thanks for replying. I thought it was ok. But just wanted other input. I've been giving the eggs to food banks, family and friends. It seems so many folks aren't eating a lot of eggs. But anyway thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Lois

7. Lois from KY

Dec 22, 2012
    Owensboro, Ky.
    I'm new at this so forgive me if I mess up a few times. I really appreciate everyone taking the time out to answer my question. I thought it was probably ok to feed them the extra eggs. We raised chicken several years ago and I'm trying to get reaquainted with everything about them.
    THANKS AGAIN!!!

Lois

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. Greyghost

Greyghost Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by