Is it ok to feed this to your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by americana-lover, Apr 16, 2012.

1. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I reciently purchased some iceburg lettuce, in the head so can cut it up myself. I was going to give this to my 5 girls, but then I heard that it may not be as healthy as I thought. Is it ok to feed chickens any kind of fruit? Like watermelons, cabbage, or strawberries? Thank You!

[​IMG]

2. janelle18

janelle18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Based on what i have read on here you can feed them pretty much anything!! I have given mine strawberries and lettuce and they eat it up! There favorite food seems to be scrambled eggs and tomatoes!:)

3. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    I agree, and if I can't give them that can someone tell me since I am now buying lettuce for the silkies especially! they love the lettuce, strawberries and are funniest with figs and fig skins, they adore them and run away with them to eat like a dog does! The bigger girls prefer mince and cat mince and pretty much turn their noses up at lettuce!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Chickens are omnivores, they eat a range of veggies/fruits/grains/meats. Basically, anything that won't eat them first, according to my dad.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Here's the link to the BYC Chicken treat chart. If you haven't found it already. Have Fun.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

6. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Lettuce is fine for them. Iceburg lettuce just doesn't have a lot of nutrition, which maybe where your "not as healthy" concern came in. It's not unhealthy, it just doesn't have a ton of good stuff either.

7. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    That was excellent help - thank you! I now have an extended list for them all!

8. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    thank you sooo much! Ive been wasteing a lot og veggies, but not anymore!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by