Is it ok to get vaccinated chicks after confirmed Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melenae, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Melenae

Melenae In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern California
    I got my first set of 5 chicks from a TSC here in Southern California in March 2018. We have had 3 die of Marek's disease (confirmed by necropsy at UC Davis) but my last 2 girls are doing great. They are unvaccinated though from what we were told by the sales person. I was wondering if it was ok to get more chicks even though we do have Marek's on our property? Is it possible to adopt or purchase vaccinated older hens? We are going to build a quarantine area for the new girls so we can keep them away for the recommended 30 days. I really love having chickens so I'm pretty bummed this happened to our 1st flock. Either the previous owners of this home had it or the chicks from TSC had it already.....either way it sucks. Thanks for your help!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Marek's should be expected to be on every property worldwide. Birds can be immune/resistant or succumb. They may live with the virus their whole lives and it may never present unless a stressor triggers it.
    Your last two birds are obviously resistant.
    You can get vaccinated birds whether chicks or adults.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Birds of a Feather and Melenae like this.
  3. Melenae

Melenae In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern California

4. Melenae

Melenae In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern California
    Thank you so much for your advice! Hopefully I can find a breeder in my area that vaccinates :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It takes 2 weeks at least for the vaccine to become fully effective, so keep your chicks inside or away from dust and dander around the coop.

Melenae and ChickenCanoe like this.
  6. Melenae

Melenae In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern California
    Good to know! Thank you so much :)

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: