Is it ok to give chickens antibiotic, even though they are currently suffering from the effects of v

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luckybaby, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chirping

Mar 11, 2014
    Two of my 9 weeks old barred cochin chicks are really sick. They have ruffled feathers, their eyes are closed majority of the time, hunched up, lethargic, slow growth( The barred cochin male used to be 10-20% taller than the golden laced female(living in the same coop as him), and now, it is 10-15% shorter), and low appetite. Thirteen days ago, one of it's peers died probably from coccidiosis, since they are exposed to it for about 14 days in a cage with a lot of adult chicken poop, and I saw blood in it's poop, and on the feathers near her vent. They are eating medicated broiler starter feed and/or drinking amprolium and ethopabate since they are in the cage, except one day which is on their 11th day on the cage(I put vitamins and electrolyte on their water). I wanted to free range them, so that they eat less coccidiosis sporulated occyst, but if I do that, then they will certainly get eye worms which can permanently damage their eye. Also, if I knew, that too many of coccidia protozoa can overwhelm the amprolium drug, then I would have only exposed them to it for significantly less time. I only knew about that since last week, after reading the info on the new medicated broiler starter feed that my mom bought. The other medicated starter and the other product didn't provide that info. Since about 2 weeks ago, the barred cochins poop are watery and I usually saw pink or orange colored thing on their poop. Since I think that they already develop immunity to the coccidiosis specie that affected them, then they might be suffering from necrotic enteritis right now. They also have dry fowl pox since 1 week ago. The other chicks on the same cage as them, have it too, but they don't act like they are sick. Several months ago, my adult and teenage chickens have dry fowl pox, but they don't act like they are sick either.

Their mouth also have bubbles, but they have no trouble breathing, and I see no discharge on the eye and nose, and no other external signs that can indicate respiratory infection.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: