Is it OK to give treats in the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Egiroux, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Egiroux

Egiroux Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Durham, ME
    I'm new at this so please pardon the ignorance. Is it ok to provide treats (cooked pasta tonight) in the coop. Just worried they may choke on a woodchip from the shavings. They seem to want to fling a piece from the container then go pick it out of the shavings.

2. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Actually a lot of people give treats in the coop. Not so much wet ones, because that can cause unwanted moisture, but dry treats because it causes the chickens to rotate the deep litter. It's a good thing!

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    and [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I don't feed treats in the coop, I do have their hanging feeder in the coop. I generally put their treats in the run because I don't want the extra mess on the coop floor, I use min. litter on the wooden coop floor.

the other day I gave them some cooked baked beans....they loved them but I would not have liked to throw that on the coop floor.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:x 2. But if it is really pouring i will throw their cup of scratch in the coop. It will keep them busy trying to dig through the shaving to get every last piece!

[​IMG]

6. RLipinski10

RLipinski10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Northern Michigan
    I wondered the same thing. So far we haven't fed them treats inside the coop. The only time we do is when it's in a bowl. Whenever we give them yogurt, in or outside, we also put that in a bowl.

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Your chickens shall not choke on a wood chip. Treat away.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

The only treats we give in the coop is whole corn. Everything else is given outside. I'm afraid a piece will be missed inside (unlikely, I know [​IMG] ) and get moldy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by