1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

is it ok to have 3 males per 3 females?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dixiebazarre, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Dixiebazarre

Dixiebazarre In the Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Bogart GA
    I don't know if ducks are territorial like chickens. So far my drakes live alongside my chickens and all is well. I just found another duck pair on Craigslist and am wondering if I'm setting myself up for trouble. So far I have 2 pekin drakes and 2 female rouans. The ones for sale look like Indian runners.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The likelihood of trouble is there - if you intervene and separate when needed, you can protect your chickens and ducks (females) and even drakes.

When mating season begins, there is a risk of drakes hurting (or killing) each other, chickens, and ducks. There is so much variability from what I have read here - some pairs are always fine, sometimes drakes gang up on a drake or a duck, any time a drake tries to mate with a chicken her life is at risk.

3. Dixiebazarre

Dec 27, 2014
    Bogart GA
    Ok thank you :)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please keep us updated[​IMG]

5. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chirping

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Yes Amiga is right. As of now I would just buy more females. The drake to hen ratio is not right. You need to have 1 drake per 2-5 hens. If you get more drakes the drakes might want to start mating the chickens. Ducks can't mate chickens or they can kill them.

6. Dixiebazarre

Dec 27, 2014
    Bogart GA
    We are buying just the female! $15 for an Indian runner who lays an egg a day! Woot!

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    That's a better option for sure! Also keep an eye on your girls when spring kicks in since you are still a bit drake heavy.

8. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chirping

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Ya still has more than the ratio, 2 drakes for 3 hens isn't enough, but its better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: