Is it ok to have a ventilation window at roost height?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Noymira, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I am planning the location of ventilation windows in our shed conversion. On the west facing wall I want to turn the space above the rafters (At 8 feet) into a storage loft. I plan on putting the roost under that loft, the only place I can place a window for ventilation on that wall is right about the same height I want to put the roost (below the rafters). In the winter it will be closed off with a glass garage door window (I will keep other higher ventilation open in the winter), but in warmer weather it will be open (except the hardware cloth covering it).

Is there any reason why the roost should not be next to a window in warmer months?

I'm thinking of keeping the windows open from mid-April thru mid-November (after and before heavy frost in our area), our temps can range from 30-40 at night and 40-60 during the day in the spring and fall months and 50-70 at night and 70-90 during the day in the summer.

I could also place the ventilation higher, above the rafters in the loft, and not close it in the winter, but I'm not sure if we'd get the maximum benefit from it during the summer months. OR do we do both and leave the top open all year and the bottom open in warmer weather.

Here is the wall in question marked with the black box, part of this side of the coop wall is inside the larger open shed.

[​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In warm weather that is *fine*, as long as it's sheltered enough (or the roost far enough from the window) that the chickens will not get drenched or displaced every time a stiff thunderstorm rolls through.

Since you say you will be closing it in wintertiem, which is totally sensible, I can see no reason not to do it as long as you feel you'll be ok with the raining-in thing. (It is fine to have it rain in *a bit* during the summer, you just don't want to be sluicing sleeping chickens off the roost, you know? [​IMG])

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Great, thank you! I think I'll make the window so it is hinged from the top of the opening, propped open during the summer, so it offers some protection from rain blowing in. I'll also make it closer to the outside corner of the building so that the bulk of the roost is along a solid wall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by