Is it ok to have all-female flocks?

I am wondering if around 12 guineas will need males or will they be fine without? And why they will or not need males! Thanks for reading, and answering!
Having an all female flock of guineas will be very difficult to put together in the first place since you can only buy adult guineas sexed. No one sells sexed keets.

It would be the noisiest possible flock there ever could be as the hens call constantly for a mate. Since no mates will be forthcoming, the calling will never stop.

Having an all female flock of guineas will be very difficult to put together in the first place since you can only buy adult guineas sexed. No one sells sexed keets.

It would be the noisiest possible flock there ever could be as the hens call constantly for a mate. Since no mates will be forthcoming, the calling will never stop.
How many males do you think would be appropriate for 12 guineas?

The reason I am planning on not getting a male is that I have an Ameraucana rooster and I hear male guineas fight with roosters a lot and wondering if this is true?
I have a flock of 14 guineas. Eight are hens and 6 are cocks. They do not attack my chickens at any time.

I brooded the keets only with other keets. I raised them separately from any other poultry. I house them separately from any other poultry. When they are free ranging in the same area that the chickens and turkeys free range in, they keep to themselves as do the chickens. Neither group interacts with each other.

If you brood the keets with chicks they will become imprinted. When they are older, they will not be able to understand that chickens are not guineas and they will treat the chickens the same way they treat other chickens. Guinea ways are different from any other poultry. Guineas treating chickens as if they were other guineas causes the chickens great stress because the chickens do not understand why the guineas are acting the way they are.

The reason I am planning on not getting a male is that I have an Ameraucana rooster and I hear male guineas fight with roosters a lot and wondering if this is true?
When I only had one guinea cock and 8 guinea hens, all brooded with chicks, the cock would constantly harass the roosters. However, I now have 7 cocks and 14 hens, and it’s actually much more peaceful. The newer guineas brooded only with guineas amd don’t really care about roosters. Even the original cock doesn’t care much about roosters anymore. When the cocks are feeling feisty, they chase each other around and leave the chickens alone. My guess is that having a decent number of guinea males would decrease the chance for aggression with your roosters, especially if you were committed to removing any guinea cocks that pick fights with roosters.

Back
Top Bottom