Is it ok to have nest boxes near floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    E way my coop is laid out, the best place for the nest box is only about 5-6" above the floor. I have standard breeds, orpingtons, barred rocks and Easter Eggers.

Any reason not to have the egg box so low besides taking up floor space?

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Nope! Unless you have a predator problem it should be OK. If you have the nest boxes too high, like at roosting level, it might encourage them to slep/poop in them.
    Mine are on the ground, slightly elevated, insulated from all sides except the entry, and the only problem I encountered was that I originally did not have enough of an overhang to leave a poopfree entrance. Then the second problem I encoutered was that my bozes were not private enough so the girls asked and received arched entrances just big enough for them to block with their body when they want privacy. I've also seen curtains put up.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    That elevation is great. I did not do so in mine because I needed the floor space, so my nests are higher.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Mine are built directly on the ground. Only one out of 9 chickens so far has refused to use them and made me play "Easter egg hunt" daily. [​IMG]

5. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Great!! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by