Is it ok to hold baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lovemychix, Oct 21, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    My babies will be a week old tomorrow....wednesday. I haven't really held them because I thought it would be better to leave them alone. I really want them to bond with us and be friendly. My 6 year old is very patient and has good common sense. She's dying to love on them, but I have told her to wait until they are older. Just wanting you chicken experts to give me advice to raise birds that enjoy our company as much as we to theirs. Thanks!! They are inside the house also.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    When we had chicks last year we always held them from day 1.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, hold them! That way they get used to being handled and being around people.

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Not sure the "protocol" on babies, but we had our hands on them the moment they came home! It is so hard to resist those little furry things!!

5. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    As long as you show your daughter the correct way to hold the chicks, and you supervise her when she does, I think everybody should hold them for at least 15-20 minutes a day to get them used to the family.
    Just watch the chicks. If they seem to be getting a little stressed out, give them a break.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. A few minutes a day per chick is fine. In the first week especially I think it's important to to avoid stressing them out.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Holding chicks makes a stronger bond between you. Plus they're FUZZY!

8. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Hold em hold em hold em.
    The chicks will let you know when they had enough.
    I agree with teaching the kids the right way and a little supervision goes a long way. My kids tired of the holding before the chicks did, but now they follow us all over the yard and still love to be held....That is the birds of course!!! The kids could care less what we do.
    Have fun

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    we hold 'em right out of the box...day one too.

even my 2 year old.

I turned 2 pans upside down and had each of my kids sit on the pan...so they don't get fuzz and poo on their pants mostly but are down lower than a bucket...a pig feeding pan, i guess it is...circular.

**this way they sit and do not walk around and accidently step on one.

Then I show them how to hold them. I then place a chick in their hand and supervise. A couple of rescues from the 2 year old but really we do well.

A 6 year old is more than capable of being gentle with the right instruction.

I can't believe you waited this long!

Go hold a fuzzy butt already!

and reap the rewards...

me,
    g

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, we held them from the beginning as well. I supervised the kids at all times and kept the loving sessions short.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by