Is it ok to just wipe eggs with water?

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
I don't want to remove the bloom from the outside of my eggs, but just want to use a damp cloth and wipe off the really yucky smears that happen occasionally. Does that ruin the bloom?

Yes. BUT, ruining the bloom and putting it the fridge right away will not affect your eggs. It you leave the poo on it then the bacteria can get into the egg, so it's better to wash.

Quote:
What is the "bloom" is that the coating on the egg?

So if you wash the egg off with just water, do you HAVE to put it in the fridge?

Don't a lot of people wash them & put them on the counter in a basket or something?
idunno.gif

I spot clean mine with a wet PT (if needed) I dont like to but dont want chicken butt smears in the fridge !! Also dont like to sell/give eggs away with poop on them.

The bloom is a natural protective coating on eggs. If you are eating the eggs, by all means wash them. Just make sure the water is warmer than the egg, or the bacteria may go into the egg.

People who are hatching eggs get funny about washing the eggs with water. I wash mine. I dont want that bacteria in my incubator. I carefully and quickly wash them in very warm water with the Murray McMurray Egg soap and I have great hatches. Unless someone wants them unwashed, I ship washed eggs, too. I hate getting poopy eggs in the mail and I dont like sending poopy eggs to my customers. Waterfowl eggs can get really dirty. Most of my chicken eggs are clean as a whistle in the nest so it isnt an issue. It is all just personal preference. Experiment for yourself and see what works for you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom