Is it OK to leave collecting the eggs until later in the day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trishminis3, Aug 14, 2013.

1. trishminis3

trishminis3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Hi All, I am out all day tomorrow from quite early until early evening. Will it be OK to leave collecting the eggs? My girls have only been laying a few weeks, so they, and me are newbs! I am worried it may encourage them to sit on them.

Trish x

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Go about your business and get them when you get home. The eggs will not go bad, and a hen usually works for a number of days to lay enough eggs to set on. Plus, they've just started laying. I wouldn't worry unless you had a proven broody who is already showing broody tendencies.

3. trishminis3

trishminis3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Being a newb this is what I am not sure about. One of my girls does tend to sit on the egg she has laid for a long while and if I happen to look in to check if there are any eggs she gets quite annoyed and fluffs all her feathers! I have had to get her off the egg with treats as she doesn't let the other girls go near her whilst she is on the nest. I'm normally home all day and therefore don't worry. I don't intend to hatch my own chicks and therefore don't want to encourage broodiness.
    Trish x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by