1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it ok to let out my chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jason180sx, Jul 3, 2011.

1. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    hi
    i have 3 cockerels and 4 hens they are 16-19 weeks old(i got them at 3-6 weeks old) and thery are in a run but i was asking is it ok to let them out or will thery run away
    thanks

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

You can go and let them out and they will not run away. They actually will stay quite close to the coop and within an hour or two will probably go back to the coop for food and or water. Don't panic and try and herd them as they will be confused and may scatter. Once they all go back in consider it an accomplishment and lock them up or see if they want to venture out again after they get their food and water fill. My youngsters usually hang within 30 ft of the coop for a while and then begin to venture. My adults do not go further than 350 feet from the coop.

Good Luck on your adventure!

3. jason180sx

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    thank you so much
    thanks for the help i will let them out tomorrow

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My girls are 8 weeks old, when I them out, they stay close to the run. I also stay with them when they are out, when they wander further than I like, I just go around them and tell them to head back to their sisters. They turn around and head back.

5. jason180sx

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    i don't know i got a new hen last week and should i wait untill she gets older and know the other chickens

6. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    I was afraid to let my chickens out but I finally did it when they were about 16 weeks and they dont go ut 20ft away from the coop and they even put themselves back to bed @ night! And when I give the scraps I always put them in the run so if I have to leave and need them put up I just take some scraps out and call them and they all run into the run like there dogs or something, they made it so easy I felt so silly freaking out about nothing.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If your new hen isn't picked on then she will probably stick close by. they will naturally return to roost at dusk. Once they get more comfortable "free ranging" they may be more difficult to round up during the day, but they should always come back at night. Find some treats that they really like to lure them back to the coop, if you want them in there earlier in the day. Keep an eye on the new hen, but she should be ok.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    One idea I've read is to let them out at dusk, when it is nearly time for them to roost. As it gets darker they should naturally go back into the coop to roost. That sounds like a good theory to me.
    I might try it tonight.

9. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I agree with BoltonChicken. I have 16 8 Wk old BO's, I let them out about 30-45 minutes
    before their bedtime/dusk. They stay fairly close to the coop and usually in a group. They go back
    in their pen, get a little to eat or drink then off to bed to roost.

They love their hour or so of free time in the evening. Getting to the point that they expect it and know about
    when I will be letting them out for some free ranging time. I think that it is the highlight
    of the day for them. I stay with them while they are out. Hope this helps.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jason180sx

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    scratch'n'peck :

If your new hen isn't picked on then she will probably stick close by. they will naturally return to roost at dusk. Once they get more comfortable "free ranging" they may be more difficult to round up during the day, but they should always come back at night. Find some treats that they really like to lure them back to the coop, if you want them in there earlier in the day. Keep an eye on the new hen, but she should be ok.

but the thing is the new hen is getin pick on​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by