is it OK to mix baby chickens and peachicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arlee453, May 20, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm afraid I'm going to have a lonely peachick - at least for another week until the next batch goes into the hatcher.

I've got some 2 wk old ameraucana chicks in the big brooder that are just about the same size as this peachick.

Would it be OK to put the peachick in with them? (assuming there's no major figthing/picking) At least until i hopefully hatch some buddies for him in a few more days?

I'm hoping they will show this guy where to get food, etc. Then he can show the new hatchlings if we get some out of the next batch of eggs.

Thoughts??

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes you can move a couple chicks in with the peachick.they will teach him how to eat an drink.but watch an make sure they dont pick on him to bad.

3. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks - I figured I'd keep an eye on them to make sure they don't beat up my little pea-baby!

4. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    lone peachick hatchling + feed store trip = 3 more ameracuna chicks

It was lonely (said DH). Ok, but why did we have to get it 3 buddies? [​IMG]

They'll be just fine, just remember the peachick is still a little unsteady so watch that they don't pick on him at first.

5. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I put two of the amer's in with my peababy and it's so cute - just like a baby watching the older kids play.

They are pretty much just ignoring the peachick and the peachick is just waaaattttccchhhhhiiinnnng everything they are doing.

It's sort of comical. At least peababy isn't cheeping all the time now. I think s/he is appreciating the company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by