is it ok to mix the last bag of medicated starter/grower food in with layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by reddragon72, Feb 8, 2019.

1. reddragon72

reddragon72 In the Brooder

Aug 13, 2018
    My youngest will be 20 weeks old sunday and I want to let them in with the big birds this weekend when I'll be home to supervise. I have almost a whole bag of purina medicated grower/starter feed left. Can I mix it in with the layer food and let them all eat it without causing any of them any problems? Also if I have hens not laying because they are too old will the calcium in layer food hurt them? I have some hens from people giving them away and no clue of their ages, but am letting them live until they die from old age.... I don't know who is laying and who isn't.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I would check which medication is in your medicated feed and see if there is an egg withdraw period for that medication. If you have layers eating the medicated feed I'm not sure if it will be safe for you to eat their eggs. :confused:

3. reddragon72

Aug 13, 2018
    I didn't think about that! thanks!

ButtonquailGirl14 and PirateGirl like this.
  4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Medicated feed is treated with a coccidiostat to fight off cocci.

5. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I mean, they should be fine.
    Assuming none of your birds were vaccinated for coccidiosis.

6. reddragon72

Aug 13, 2018
    its amprolium, and says its ok to eat the meat and eggs, but I would never eat one of my girls!

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I found online that there is no egg withdrawal period for amprolium, which I believe is what is in most medicated feeds, but I would double check the label.

Otherwise I don't think it would be dangerous for the older hens to eat the chick feed or the young ones to eat the layer pellets at this point. Don't just dispose of it, I don't think it needs to go to waste.

8. reddragon72

Aug 13, 2018
    I don't know where they all came from originally.... I think I would feel better just chunking the food just to be safe.

9. reddragon72

Aug 13, 2018
    none of the ones I hatched or got as chicks got the vaccination. some of the older hens might have, but from what Im reading its ok for them to get the food. thanks everyone!

10. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Don't throw it out yet, it's much easier on the chickens body to switch from one food to another gradually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: