1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok to not keep a chick quarantined for to long???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 3bantys, Jan 7, 2014.

1. 3bantys

3bantys Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    I have already my 2 girls healthy and friendly but I just added one 8 week old chick today I only quarantined her for about 2 days but I made sure she looked and acted healthy before letting her run with the girls , I put a couple drops of apple sider viniger in her water and but DE in her bedding and made sure everything was clean for her .
    Also I got all my chicks from the same place/ breeder just at different times so they had all came from the same conditions, the lady (breeder) who gave me my new girl said that I can/ could put her straight in with the girls on the first day I got her home but I thought it was best to wait a few days so I new my new girl Millie was good/healthy .
    Tonight is their first night all in the coop tog ether so I just an opinion or ideas of how I can keep them happy, healthy and help Millie get use to people and human contact more as my 2 14 week old girls are supper friendly to me and I was hoping they could help teach Millie ... But would love some more tips

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they're from the same source in a short span of time I think it's ok not to quarantine.

It will take time. Make sure they don't bully the kid and keep her from the food or water.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The new bird will come around. It takes time for them to realize that you are not out to eat them. Food is a good incentive for bonding. And once the new one figures out that you dispense chicken goodies, she will warm up closer to you. Go sit with them in the run or coop for a while each day and tempt them on your lap. Eventually you will become part of the flock too.

Good luck with your babies!

4. 3bantys

3bantys Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you
    When I went to check on them this morning they had all slept together and were in the run ... But still the 2 girls and then Millie ... I relise now that one of my girls poppy has been chasing her sometimes when Millie would come over and try and join in. So I just wanted to know how long this would probably go on for before they except Millie into the group ? Or any tips to bond them etc ?
    Thanks
    Love my cheecky girls :) <3

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Actually, from the sounds of it, this introduction is going well for only 1 day. Often times it takes weeks to except new ones and many times there is blood shed. This new one may end up on the bottom of the pecking order and may always be chased a bit. In every flock there is an order from head bird and on down to the last in line. This is just the way it is. The lowest is not necessarily hurt or anything, but she may have to eat last, drink last, get the left over treat scraps and sleep on the end of the roost bar. The chickens will work all this out on their own, there is nothing you can do to change the order. Just watch the flock for the next few weeks to make sure she is eating enough, getting enough water and is not picked on too much. Oh, and make sure to give her extra lovin'. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by