Is it ok to play with a baby chick alot

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Officialhaley, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Officialhaley

Officialhaley New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Can u play with a baby chick a lot

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry love!

Yes as long as they are still in the heat and not cold. If they don't like it or look stressed it isn't good.Like if they chirp a lot and are scared.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. Patriciaallison

Patriciaallison Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Edgerton kansas
    We have a huge coop and got our first chicks for Easter. Our kids played with our chicks all day everyday for weeks after we got them. The only thing it did was create friendly birds my Murans rooster likes to sit on my shoulder while I feed his buddies and looks out into the pig pen with me. I also noticed any thing weird sooner because the kids kept a close eye on them. I have seven kids and I believe kids can be great helpers where animals are concerned. Accidents happen and kids learn from them. I had a mishap with a hampster once and all my kids have been super careful ever sense then. My youngest is two and even he helps look in on the babies although he won't touch them because he still puts his hands in his mouth to much!
    What great fun for your kids and what great lessons they will learn!
    P
    Lazy A Farm

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know what you mean by a lot, or how old the chicks are. But, if they tire easily, they need nap time. Also very young children may accidentally step on them or chicks can jump out of their hands and have a fatal landing. It's best if kids sit on the floor and let the chicks explore around them.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    deleted duplicate post

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by