Is it ok to put a silkie in with my 5 ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenKid11, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hey I am kinda new to this but is it ok to put a silkie in with my 5 ameraucanas? Please let me know ASAP![​IMG]

Thanks A Lot!!!!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    A single Silkie? I don't know.. I have a few EE's, they can be a bit extreme at times. The only way is to try it, and keep them supervised. When I let my last hatch of Silkies out into the flock, all the other birds didn't know what to think...Doesn't look like a chicken, so no threat...?
    But a single ANYTHING, just may be a target. JMO

3. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    Ok Thanks, I am hoping for the best but only time will tell me![​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's usually tough adding a single chicken of any kind to an established flock. The size differential, and the inability of the Silkie to fly up to escape bullying will only make it harder. For an integration likely to be difficult like this one, I would definitely follow the gradual approach of allowing the chickens to see each other (but not get to each other) for a week or two, followed by supervised integration in a neutral spot such as free ranging. If there's no bloodshed, then you can begin to integrate in the coop/run, keeping an eye out for problems.

It's also a good idea to set up two separate feed/water stations, and to put up some vertical objects in the run so that a bullied chicken can get out of sight of her tormentors.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Very good advice on how to handle the integration. Well done, elmo. [​IMG]

6. ChickenKid11

Aug 10, 2011
    Hey Thanks I might Just try that and I ended up getting her as a pair the rooster was just so beautiful!! But nothing is going good they stayed in the nest box together this morning and won't come out![​IMG]
    Well thanks for the advice!!!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by