is it ok to put baby chickens outside now

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nstilwater, Dec 16, 2011.

1. nstilwater

nstilwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    i live in the pacific northwest. i have 5 week old chicks that i need to move outside. my coop does not have a door on it but it is a 10x10 shed i will have a light in there for the chicks and plenty of bedding and a seperate area from the big chickens (fenced off by wire) they will not be in the direct line of wind. they are fully feathered except for a few tufts on their head. there are four of them. would they be ok outside now? some nights it has been getind down to like 20 degrees at night

2. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    20 degrees is kinda cool. Maybe with a heat lamp they'll be O.K.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I think at 5 weeks and with a heat lamp, they'll be okay - especially if they're out of drafts. Maybe you could cover the open doorway with something. I'd put down a LOT of bedding (straw, shavings) to provide some insulation.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I meant to add that when you put them out there, try to watch them carefully. If they're huddling under the light all packed in close together, they're probably cold. If they're running around & eating and drinking, they're probably fine. When I first put my little ones out in the big chicken house - in their own pen inside the chicken house but it's unheated, I checked on them several times throughout the first few nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by