1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it OK to put Coffee Grounds in the chicken run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nittanyxi, Sep 15, 2012.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    someone told me coffee grounds were good for composting and that it was ok to put them in the chicken run. Is it ok for chickens to eat caffinated coffee grounds?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I am not so sure, but I throw them in my garden.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I think it's fine to throw them in there but I don't think the chickens will eat them. They will mix them up with the other stuff though, that's for sure.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    They are nice when added to compost. But your chicken run isn't your composting area, is it?? Best to have a separate area where you have a compost pile... I don't know if the chickens would try to eat them, but it wouldn't be healthy for them to do so. When you clean the chicken run/coop/etc, dump the dropping and bedding into your compost pile. Coffee grounds are great to add at this time too. If you allow your chickens to come out for ranging at all, they can help your turn your compost pile. :) There are a bunch of informative threads on composting on this forum and on the internet, if you are interested. I highly recommend composting!

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you have used the coffee, the caffeine is pretty much gone. But I use mine in the compost bin.

Chickens will eat anything, even devoid of nutrition. Mine eat the larger wood chips in front of the shop. The ones about the size of their crumbles. No nutrition, but they eat them just the same. Of course, they eat the grains of sand and rocks for their crops.

Chris

6. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    I know you didn't ask but if you are looking to start BSF for the birds very wet coffee grounds attract them faster than anything else.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I wonder if you'd have coffee flavored eggs?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My run is kinda my composting area lol. I've put coffee grounds out there, they scratch through and ignore them best as I can tell.

Maybe we should get them to eat the grounds, then we could market caffienated eggs? If coffee bothers you stomach, just eat our eggs and get a boost! I'll bet they'd be a hit with the low-carb crowd lol.

9. Ziegenhof

Ziegenhof Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    LOL! I had to laugh hard at this..

10. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    I'd definatly buy them lots and lots of them muhuahuahauha[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by