Is it ok to put this thermometer / hydrometer inside the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yanks26, Mar 31, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
  2. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Yes it is because I have seen them on here before and I went and bought one from walmart today

3. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Haha u got one today? What a coincidence!

Tell me how it works. I won't be buying it for a couple weeks. What type of bator did u get it for?

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Yup, that one's OK. Here's what I did for mine:
    [​IMG]
    Tubing runs through the screen to the water tray. Sharpie pen is plugging 2nd hole for tube that fills center water tray.

5. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    I dont have my incubator yet but why do u have 2 holes? Isnt one enough?

And what do u mean water tray? is the whole bottom, underneath the screen, a water tray?

6. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    LG is what i bought it for
    i did not get the same one i bought one that was the next size it had the min and max temp and the min and max for the humidity
    well I am a little bit late to put it now I'm waiting for the 6 eggs that have pipped to hatch or at least one to hatch so i can put it in there. I hope tomorrow I will let you know how it works!! [​IMG]

7. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Ive got the same therm/hydro.

Seems to be working fine so far always very close to the other one with in a degree.

I keep two therm in each bator just to double check temps.

8. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I have a Hova-Bator. It has a plastic bottom liner with seperate water channels to regulate the humidity. You fill one for the first 18 days to get the humidity to 50% +/- and then the 2nd one for the last three days to bring it up to 65% +/-.

9. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I have a Hova-Bator. It has a plastic bottom liner with seperate water channels to regulate the humidity. You fill one for the first 18 days to get the humidity to 50% +/- and then the 2nd one for the last three days to bring it up to 65% +/-.

ooooo ok. That makes sense! Thank you so much. That must be y you put two holes in the side of the bator (1 for each tray) right?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  10. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:You got it. Turns out I didn't really need the 2nd hole. If, I fill the center tray when I remove the auto-turner, it stays full until the hatch is over. The one hole for the other tray works out great. It's really hard to see the water level when the turner and eggs are in there. I can see how high it is by blowing air in the tube and seeing the bubbles. It also makes it easy to suck some water back out, if I get it too full.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by