Is it ok to raise Chickens in Haverford, PA?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by HaverfordPAFarm, Feb 9, 2015.

1. HaverfordPAFarm

HaverfordPAFarm New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    We have 1.5 acres of land and want to start raising 24 to 36 chickens. I know Haverford, PA has a ban on roosters. Does anyone know the laws regarding what needs to be done to raise chickens in Haverford? Haverford is in Delaware county in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know somewhere local to the Greater Philadelphia Area to acquire day old chicks? I am interested in Rhode Island reds or other cold resistant chickens. Suggestions are welcome.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Go over to city hall and ask them. Many places will have a ban on roosters for various reasons. Mainly nuisance and noise. There are other reasons also. Also there may be a restriction on the number of chickens you may raise. I am not in your area so I cant inform you, just general trends. If you wanted a handful , then most likely would go unnoticed. If you want a large flock, such as your desires, then it may raise some eyebrows on some neighbors. WISHING YOU BEST
    As to where to get chicks. Find your nearest feed store. Most will offer baby chick for sale in the spring time. If you get the green light and can have large numbers, then a hatchery order delivered by US postal service would be a good option.
    AND [​IMG]

3. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Here is an article on chicken keeping in our area. I would contact the town to see if they have any additional restrictions..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by