1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok to remove some chicks from bator (first timer here)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoORchick73, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Today is day 21, I had 3 hatch...first one hatched at 4 am, the other two within the last 2-4 hours. Tomorrow morning is it ok to take some out quickly and lock back down? I have 18 in there. I'm just thinking if I have a few that are going to take 22-23 days I'd like to take the older ones out (and leave a peeper or two behind to encourage the others). I have a Brinsea octagon 20 (I have to add humidity). Thank you for advice :)

2. Casey76

Casey76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Alsace, France
    The chicks can stay in the incubator for 24-36 hours without issues (and should be fully fluffed before moving in the first instance). The movement (otherwise known as egg football ;) ) of the hatched chicks can often simulate the others to pip.

3. hmcohen

hmcohen New Egg

Dec 25, 2015
    I have had 3 chicks hatch... I know to leave them in there for the first 24-48 hours. But I'm wondering is there anything special I need to do after I remove them? Electrolytes? Probiotics?
    I've had a hen hatch chicks before and ended up having to raise them... But just seeing if I'm missing anything. TIA

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

I remove my chicks after they hatch and become active in my bator. Sometimes it's half an hour after hatch, sometimes it's an hour or two. When to move chicks is a personal decision. As long as you keep the humidity up in the bator and your bator recovers the humidity quickly, you should remove them when you are comfortable. (As long as you have a brooder set up and warmed at one end or have a warming plate/heated area for them and it's out of drafts and temp changes.)

I use sav a chick electrolyte in my water after hatch for the first couple of days. Not everyone does.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    And [​IMG]

6. hmcohen

hmcohen New Egg

Dec 25, 2015
    Ok thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by