Is it ok to stop the chick starter feed a week early

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eggcited2, Jul 31, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    On Monday (Aug. 2) my chicks will be 7 weeks old. I have enough starter to get me to then. I already have a bag of Flock Raiser. Hubby is upset at paying $5-$6 dollars for a five pound bag of medicated chick starter. (when an entire 50 pound bag of Flock Raiser is only $12)

The stater I feed says to feed it for the first 8 weeks. Would it be ok to stop it at only 7 weeks or should I go ahead and feed them the extra week of the medicated starter?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

As far as I'm concerned, it would be okay to make the transition to FlockRaiser when you run out of your original chick starter. I've done it both ways; had more chick starter than I needed so finished it before starting the grower/finisher feed. And I've started the grower/finisher early when the chick starter didn't last the full 8 weeks (but I had a group of chicks of different ages then, some were 11 weeks old, a couple were 10 wks old and some were 7 weeks old - those were the ones that started the next level of food early).

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I think it would be fine.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How much does a 50 lb bag of starter cost? Seems like you would be better off getting a full bag of starter so they can be on it a bit longer.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I feed my chicks 1 bag of medicated starter and then everybody is on Flock Raiser. I've got big healthy birds. I've fed it to quail, chicks, hens, roosters and guineas with no problems ever.

6. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:I have been using medicated starter. They only sell it in 5 lb bags where we live. We have three farm and home stores in town and another one about five miles away. None of them sell any larger than 5 lb at their stores. And the last two bags we got, had some clumps of food instead of all loose crumbles. The crumbles must have gotten damp or something. I checked the clumps and there was no mold or such. The contents of the bags also didn't smell of mold, besides the visual check of the feed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We never feed medicated chick starter. They'll likely be just fine.

8. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Neither do we. We follow organic protocol.

It is my personal opinion it is a waste of money for the back yard flock owner. Antibiotics for a small back yard flock? It is my opinion medicated feed is designed for large poultry houses that have 10,000 birds all packed into a tight space, the birds are in highly stressed conditions, they will get sick without the high doses of antibiotics.

I would assume most back yard flocks are pampered and babied, with clean healthful living conditions. NOT like the big poultry houses!

As far as Coccidiostats, my chicks are introduced to a little bit of clean organic soil at week one while still in the brooder. Gradually increasing their expose to earth.

Just like nature intended it..[​IMG]

ON

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. Make the switch. Most of the places I've seen recommend that you make the switch at 6 weeks, not 8. Most chicks have fully feathered out at 4 to 5 weeks so they don't need the extra protein past that stage.

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Watch for Cocci....drop in appetite and dropped wing... the cold peeping sound... That is a sign of Cocci... The medicated feed contains Amproline that prevents an overload.... w/o it you can have a buildup in thier system that can be fatal... Watch for any sign and then treat with Sulmet and Tetracycline... Even the cleanest coops have bacterial flora... It can be brought in by other animals... birds, mice etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by