Is it ok to take a peek??

Luvmybob

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Florida
My Bo's eggs are due this Friday, they are under a broody, is it ok if she comes off the nest as usual or does the 3 days before lock down apply to her as well?? Should I take the chicks out as they hatch or give the mom a day or two to try and hatch them all if they don't hatch?

Thanks!
First timer obviously!

Quote:
Let her be. It's not like you can stop her from getting off!

Should I take the chicks out as they hatch or give the mom a day or two to try and hatch them all if they don't hatch?

Umm, how can she hatch them if they don't hatch? I don't understand. Don't take the chicks as they hatch, having you constantly reaching under and grabbing her babies will stress her out and she might trample someone. The best advice is LEAVE HER ALONE.

Oh, and don't forget to spend time watching her, a broody with chicks is adorable!​

Agree with Kooshie......But if this is a first time mom and you have doubts about her being a good mom, keep a close eye on her, watch her carefully and make sure she doesn't abandon them or trample on them...BO's are usually good moms so all should be good.

I'm sending up prayers and thoughts for a happy hatching....Please let us know how it goes!!!

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers! It's a first time for both mother and I....I think she will be a wonderful mom so I don't think she'll abandon the chicks...

""Umm, how can she hatch them if they don't hatch? I don't understand. Don't take the chicks as they hatch, having you constantly reaching under and grabbing her babies will stress her out and she might trample someone. The best advice is LEAVE HER ALONE"""

The only reason I asked was because I've heard of mom's suffocating their babies before the rest of the eggs hatch....Just want the best for her and her babies. I had to take her off of her nest everyday because she stayed on her nest for 5 days straight without food or water so I had to physically take her off of her nest or she wouldn't have made it, her legs were blue so, not stopping her from getting off of her nest is a lot different than making her get off in order to eat drink and poop, just wanted to know if it was ok to let her stay on her nest until they hatch or should I make her get off to eat and drink with it being so close to hatch day or just leave her alone...I just came back inside from taking her off of the nest, last time I'll do it until the eggs hatch.

Thanks again for the advice!
Dana

Last edited:
i think the broody knows when it's getting close to hatch time. i've watched mine do their own lock down and not move. One of my broodies will let me hold a plate of food and then water up for her to eat and drink, but the others won't. My broody Juliet just hatched seven little babies. She would not get off the nest for the last five days. i was worried about her, but she was fine.

My suggestion is to not mess with them as the hatch is going on. It could take a couple of days. i've never had a chick get squished. i've watched the moms pushing them back under with their beaks if they try to come out from under too soon. Worried about that the first time, but since i've seen it several times now, i guess they know what they're doing.

As the hatching goes on, i will check after a day or so, gently reaching under to pull out any broken eggs. After two days of hatching, i may reach under and pull out any unhatched eggs, gently tap and chirp to see if there is a viable chick inside. You will want to take away any un-viable eggs by about the third day so she will get up and start teaching her chicks to eat.

Good luck! There is nothing sweeter than a new mom with her baby chicks!

Quote:
OH Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is the first time I've felt relieved in 3 weeks! Your advice and comment is exactly what I needed to hear. I've been worried for weeks now and now that it's almost time for them to hatch I really needed to hear that. She does eat from my hand on the nest but she won't drink. I'll just leave her be and lock down the coop so no other girls can bother her.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your experiences!

God Bless!!
Dana

Quote:
I WILL!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for asking the question.

I too am a first time chicky grandma with a first time chicken Mom, Barred Rock who has insisted to hatch something, anything, even air since Aug.

I finally gave in and got some fertile eggs for her Oct 9th.

All four took. Last night I could see movement in 3 of them. The 4th one is a dark shell.

Can you hear peeping at day 19?

My fingers are crossed for your girl.

Back
Top Bottom