1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it ok to take food away at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 25, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    because the ducks are in a small travel cot in my bedroom, i take the food away just before i go to sleep so that they dont poo a lot during the night (when i take the food away there is hardly any poo in the morning) because i dont want them to be standing on poo, during the day i wipe the poo up with tissue every half hour or so so they are never left in dirty conditions but they do sometimes tug the tissue out of my hands and eat it [​IMG], anyways is ok take the food away, i go to sleep at around 11pm and get up at about 8am so thats 9 hours without food... that ok?

2. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Sure. I don't like to leave feed out overnight because it creates a very welcome environment for mice/rats. There's not a thing wrong with doing this provided they can get all of their nutritional requirements during the day, which they should nearly always be able to do (unless of course you have 23 hours of night! [​IMG] )

3. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:when they are fed i mix in oats to lower the protein content, and they just eat the oats and leave the duck feed! they eat it eventually though, kind of like my dog, their food is a last resort if they dont get treats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by