Is it ok to vaccinate meat birds for Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TajMahalChickens, Apr 26, 2011.

1. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    I am getting meat birds this week and I am wondering if it is a good idea to vaccinate for Marek's. I have had Marek's in the past with my birds, so I don't want my meaties getting it. Would the Marek's even have time to take hold of them? They will be butchered at 3 months. Is this a good idea or useless?

Thanks

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I wouldn't bother with it, myself. I do not vaccinate my meaties against anything because within 9 weeks mine are in the fridge, but I also raise mine on concrete and not on the ground so mine don't get exposed to much that can make them ill.

Good luck.

3. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    If mine were only going to be raised to 9 weeks, i don't think I would do anything, but I am concerned because I am raising Freedom Rangers to 13 weeks. I am afraid that the extra weeks might do some harm.

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Yes it is recommeded to vacinate meat birds. But if you only have a few, no history of Mareks, and no possible contamination you should be ok But here is a few quotes from Avian Pathology Journal,

.In ovo vaccination of chickens is an importanti nnovation for the poultry industry. Experimental in ovo vaccination has been used for a number of diseases including Marek’s disease (MD) (Sharma & Burmester, 1982; Sharma & Graham, 1982; Sharma et al., 1984), infectious bronchitis (Wakenell& Sharma, 1986; Walkenell et al., 1995), infectious bursal disease (Sharma, 1985), Newcastle
    disease (Ahmed & Sharma, 1992), coccidiosis (Ruff et al., 1988; Watkins et al., 1995) and acombination of diseases (Gagic et al., 1999; Hill &Sharma, 1999). However, to date, this technology is most widely used to vaccinate broiler chickens against MD (Ricks et al., 1999). The two main objectives of in ovo vaccination are: (1) to maximize the interval between vaccination and possible early natural challenge by virulent virus, allowing sufficient time for adequate vaccinal immunity to develop (Sharma & Burmester, 1982); and (2) to reduce handling of chicks and labour costs in the hatchery associated with post-hatch subcutaneous vaccination (Gildersleeve et al., 1993). ISSN 0307-

So I hope that
    The fact that it is so widely used by meaties should indicate to you it is ok. Plus I don't think you are going to be worried about the labour cost to give the chicks injections. [​IMG] Have a fun and healthy time raising the meaties.

Source: P. L. Young, et al. "Influence of vaccine deposition site on post-vaccinal viraemia and vaccine efficacy in broiler chickens following in ovo vaccination against Marek's disease." Avian Pathology 30.5 (2001): 525-533. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 27 Apr. 2011.

I hope this helps,
    Christal​

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: