1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it ok to wait till 12 weeks to do Cornish Cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Buzymomibe, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Buzymomibe

Buzymomibe New Egg

Jun 21, 2008
    We have 9 x-cross that are coming up on 10 weeks. Due to some unexpected issues I won't be able to process them for like 2 weeks. Will it be ok to wait till 12 weeks or will that make then too old and they turn out tough?

Thanks in advance,

Theresa

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They will be very large. Very very large.

But they shouldn't be 'tough'. 'Tough' is a rather loaded term and means a lot of different things to different people.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    You might lose a few to heart attacks but they should be ok. They'll be very large. I wouldn't go over 12 weeks though.

4. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    My cornish crosses are 10 weeks old right now. I just butchered my first male, not my biggest one, mind you, just my slowest one! (I have them in a 20' x 20' area, with electonet fencing, that I move every 2 days.) With neck and giblets removed (saved, but not weighed with the carcass) he is exactly 10 pounds...so if your birds gain like mine did, figure 10+ pounds for the boys, and maybe 8 for the girls.
    The last time I raised them I butchered at 6 weeks and they were 3.5 to nine pounds (neck and giblets weighed with birds). Good luck!
    I let them go this long because they're still VERY mobile! I kind of want to see how big they can get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by