Is it ok to...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens, Feb 24, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    order chicks from 4 states away? I could order from one state over, but they don't have what I want. I am going to be ordering 30+ chicks, so they should have plenty of body warmth. Also I am waiting until spring (late March- early April) to order, so the weather will be a lot warmer. I really want 25 pullets from the Plymouth Rock Asst. from Ideal, about a dozen cockerels of a dual-purposed breed for meat, and about a dozen bantam cochins or OEGB (haven't decided yet, I want good broodies, but not silkies) Should I settle for less than I want and go with the other hatchery that is closer? I would rather have healthy chicks that weren't exactly what I wanted than have a bunch of sick or dead chicks that were the breeds and varieties that I wanted.

2. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Happy where are you from? Never settle for less. I have seen people on here ordering from Ct, and their order made it ok, and by the time you order it will be warm enough to not worry too much. Good luck in your decision.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Should be ok, I don't see a huge problem.....

4. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Well, I guess if they are DOA, Ideal will credit me or replace the chicks, right? It just seems like those poor little things are too fragile to travel that far. Ok then, here we go. Now I just have to decide which breeds to get! Sheesh! LOL So much fun!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had 8 shipped from Ideal to here (nebraska) in August last year.... they were fine.

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    I had 36 shipped to me in south Louisiana from MM hatchery in Iowa last week in the cold. They made the trip down south with no problem and are thriving quite well. They were boxed for the conditions and had no warmers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by