Is it okay for chickens to eat suet cakes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sandbellie, May 2, 2011.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was in the feed store today and saw all the wild bird suet cakes and I was wondering if it was okay for my chickens to eat them.
    Will it harm them at all? I bought some meal worms for them instead because I wasn't sure. They love those!

Thanks.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    No replies?

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They have a lot of less nutritional things in them that are geared towards other birds. It will not hurt them but you would be better off getting some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) as they are good for them and your chickens will go nuts for them.

1 person likes this.
  4. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Quote:Yep!

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    They are OK as an occasional treat in very cold weather. They are mostly fat, not much protein.

6. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Good question, but I am a newbie here. I know that my wild birds go crazy for the suet/seed/fruit blocks during the colder periods (which is most of the year here). The purpose of the suet is to provide fat/energy in cold weather. I am not sure if the blocks would be too "fatty" for the chickens. I guess if you fed them you would have to use moderation.

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I give mine one occasionally in the wintertime during cold stretches for some extra fat & calories.

8. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I just put one of those suet cakes in my coop. It was basically beef suet, dried berries, corn, and oats. I felt that they needed something special because we built a new run and raised the coop off the ground and though it is better for them, they were very upset! i read that chickens don't like change but, wow!, did they let me know!!! They sounded like they were growling and crying yesterday when we moved them in, although they did get the hang of the ramp right away! Today, they were better but I felt they needed a treat! Comfort food for chickens? I figured it was the equivalent of a pint of Ben & Jerry's for me!!!

9. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A suet cake wouldn't last too long and it is basically rendered beef fat with bits of seeds floating in it. Purina makes a big Flock Block that is formulated just for poultry. Our local TSC carries it.

Or, you can try your hand at making your own:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111647

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by