Is it okay for my week old chicks to play outside in the sun?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenkjb, May 24, 2011.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    I thought it might be nice for them to frollick in the grass for a few minutes. Is that okay or are they too young. Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That is nature's way! Just watch them carefully and if your temps are cool don't let them out too long. (My advice would be different if it were winter.)

3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I put mine out in Alaska sun yesterday. They were still in the brooder bucket. It did seem to encourage flight activity so now I have had to make them a second brooder in a wire dog kennel. I have placed it in a sunny window and now they sun themselves in the sun instead of under the heat lamp. They are MUCH louder and messier now.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:x2

A momma hen would have those chickies out in the grass no problem. Just watch that they don't get too chilly. If they're frolicking, they're fine. [​IMG]

5. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    What about drafts from the wind? I had the same question myself today, OP. It's been warm lately and I wanted to take them outside, but I worry about the wind factor...

6. NBarnes

NBarnes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    The impression I've gotten is that chicks are, in fact, not completely vulnerable to chills. The problem is that they eventually get cold and then need to go someplace warm to heat back up. If they were being mothered by a hen, you'd see days old chicks running around like ping pong balls in 50 degree weather. They'd get cold and then run to mama to warm up under her skirts, and then back out into the world for more silly chick games It seems very likely that week old chicks are perfectly capable of being outside in the sun and surviving the experience. But that is assuming that you are there to make sure they can get or are brought back to warmth before they get chilled.

7. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Well said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by