1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it okay that my girls are walking in the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dallandrafae, Sep 23, 2011.

1. dallandrafae

dallandrafae Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi, i got four new 18 week old pullets yesterday. When they arrived i put them striaght into thier coop and left them there with food and water till this morning. When i opened the door this moring they all came out one at a time and are just walking around in the rain. They havent been back to the coop and just seem quite happy getting wet. Is this okay? or should i put them back in for another day?[​IMG]

ps: i love having my new chickens! i sat out there in the rain getting totally soaked just watching them [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    [​IMG] Hi my girls do the exact same, it does not bother them one bit!!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    not a problem, they are however better suited to outdoor conditions as they are farm animals used to being outside.

4. dallandrafae

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome henryhoe. Glad its not just mine. [​IMG]

5. dallandrafae

Sep 23, 2011
    I do hope they know to go in at night though..[​IMG]

6. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Oh my girls and roo love the rain. They will even prance around in the puddles. Of course they don't like the bone chilling rain. They will go to the barn or coop for shelter during those cold rains.

Enjoy your feathered friends! And welcome to the great world of owning chickens. There is never a dull moment. My family and I also love watching them.

[​IMG]

7. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    My chickens love the rain. What they do NOT love is the wind- then they will stay inside.

8. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    They should be fine. My chickens don't mind too much which is good since we live in the Pacific Northwest. If you're too worried about them getting wet, you could always invest in some teeny tiny, multi-colored umbrella hats. Just don't let the "cool" chicken kids see your girls wearing them. They'll never live it down.

9. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Mine are in the rain all the time. I leave the doors open and they come and go as they please. They even come out in the snow!!

10. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

My chickens hate the rain even a light warm one. But they love snow.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by