1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it okay to feed chickens meal worms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hens rule, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    With my chickens
    I know it sounds like a strange question but ive heard that mealworms (darkling bealtle larvie) can carry very bad diseases like mericks. Is it okay to feed them store bought mealworms like Happy Hen Treats mealworms?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, at the volume they are sold for chickens I would have to give a hearty YES for that question!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Oh gees, if it is not safe, I do not want to be the one to tell my gals .. volunteers? [​IMG]

In all seriousness now, I have not heard of negatives to feeding chickens mealworms and as Bridebeliever has suggested, with the volume sold [+ those farmed at home] and number of chickens eating them, if there were issues, we probably would have heard of them.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Never heard that meal worms carry Mareks.....hmmm....tho I've heard that all chickens carry Mareks, so maybe.

5. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    With my chickens
    All chickens carry Mareks? Is that why it's bad to mix birds from various places?

6. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's a good article on Marek's. http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

The darkling beetles that carry Marek's is the wild kind, not the domestic darkling beetle bred to produce meal worms.

It's not necessarily true that all chickens carry Marek's but most have had some exposure to it. If you live in a rural setting as I do, the wild turkey population helps to immunize your chickens against the Marek's present in your locale, so it follows that your chickens have been exposed to Marek's probably. But it's not a bad thing. This is one of the reasons for giving baby chicks in their first week a clump of sod from your surrounding soil to scratch and peck at. It serves to immunize them against many different pathogens.

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    With my chickens
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by