Is it okay to get a pair of male ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by james408, Nov 5, 2010.

1. james408

james408 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    Is it okay to get a pair of male ducks as opposed to getting a single duck? If it's just two, will they fight?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My original ducks were both male. They live fine together.

3. james408

james408 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    They won't try to mate with each other or anything, will they? lol

4. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    I have two male pekins and a wild male hooded merganser that hangs out.
    They all get along fabulously!

Course if there were any females, I have no idea if it would be a different story.
    I just had Ben to begin with and he seemed so lonely. Wouldn't even get in the water. So then we brought home Jmatt and Ben was so excited to have a buddy!
    They are inseparable!

Over the spring/summer, Dos (the hooded merganser) started hanging out with the boys. He's here all the time now.
    It's a boys club!

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Are you getting them as adults or babies?? It may be better to get them as young as possible rather than a year or two old and having lived with females for that time. I have a batchelor pad for some of my excess drakes- and they all get along fine but have not lived with females since they were juveniles.

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Women make them crazy [​IMG] Oh btw love your WHs duckyfromoz.Love Australia went twice for two weeks each time 92&97 in " CANS" AS yall say

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Same sex ducks may mount each other. It is a dominance thing. No worries.

8. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    My first 2 calls were males. In the spring, they practiced mating behaviors with each other [​IMG], but that passed and all was good. Overall, they got along well.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:Very true- but I think thats universal across all species isnt it??? [​IMG]

Thanks destinduck. I am breeding now for my own keepers for next year and cant wait for them to be a little older to see how they start to feather up. And yes "Cans" is gorgeous. My dad lives there, apart from the humidity - its simply gorgeous . Although I was disappointed the first time I visited to find the coastline in the township is all mangroves- But a short drive does take you to some very nice beaches. Green island is well worth the day trip to visit as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by