1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it okay to give ducklings Diatomaeous Earth in their food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SparkleFlower, Aug 11, 2013.

1. SparkleFlower

SparkleFlower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi, I bought three Muscovy ducklings on Friday, they are two weeks old. I was wondering if anyone fed their ducklings food grade diatomaceous earth? If anyone does, how much should I put in their food? Thanks :)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope they don't need it. if you want to use DE use it to keep their feed fresh, that way they are getting a little with their feed but not too much. it's 3 cups to 50lbs. I would put a 1/3 of the feed into a trash can 1cup of DE mix real good then add another third till I have the whole bag and 3 cups mixed real good. Ducks don't get internal parasites like chickens do, if that's why you wanted to use it.

3. AvianEgo

AvianEgo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Minnesota
    Why would ducks not get internal parasites? External i can understand because they are in water often. But i would think every creature is capable of picking up an intestinal parasite

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They just aren't is apt because they have such a high internal temp. In Storey's Guide to Raising ducks he says "Healthy waterfowl naturally have reasonably good immunity to most internal parasites," Causes: Worms are primarily a problem when ducks have access to stagnant water, crowded ponds or forced to live in a filthy environment. He isn't saying they will be parasite free but they don't get them as readily as chickens.

5. SparkleFlower

SparkleFlower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    I think I will use D.E. as wormer when they are older, I take diatomaceous earth in water for internal parasite control.

Thank you soooooooo much for replying [​IMG]

6. houseofknauss

houseofknauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    true--the only way I use DE is in the coop where the ducks and chickens live--(in their bedding)(separate quarters same room) and I lavish it on once a month in the chicken dust bath(which use to be my herb garden)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by