Is it okay to hatch on pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thespinningcottage, Sep 7, 2009.

1. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Well, I'm on Day 16 and beginning to get nervous - Day 18 is just around the corner and I'm thinking about getting the layette ready, you know. I wondered if it would be okay to put down paper towels, then pine shavings (soft, fluffy, no added aromatics) on that to keep the eggs from rolling around and give the chicks bedding right away? I hate to see the pictures of tiny wet chicks sprawled out on wire.... thanks for any advice!

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] I like to get some of that rubber-like shelf liner and cut it to size and put it on the wire in the incubator. I get the thicker softer kind and it is only $2.00 for a roll of it at the Dollar Store. One roll is enough for 2 to 3 differrent hatchings. Best of luck with your hatch!! [​IMG][​IMG]: [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Get some of that rubbery, holey shelf liner, cut a piece to fit the rack, then when you stop turning on Day 18, put down the shelf liner, then the eggs. It gives them soft footing. Shavings will stick all over a wet chick!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wal-mart has the rubbery - "holey" shelf liner at a reasonable price. Makes it nice for the chicks.

5. thespinningcottage

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Quote:OOhhh! Never thought of that! I'll pick some up when I get the chick starter. Thanks, everybody! This is my first hatch. I'll post pictures. [​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Do not use anything absorbent in the incubator. It will mess with humidity and if a zipping chick touches it the moisture may get sucked from the membrane leading to a stuck and eventually dead chick. Incubators have wire for a reason. It's the safest thing to hatch on and does not harm the chick.

Pine shavings give off volatile oils. That's what gives pine, cedar, and other soft wood shavings their smell. Even kiln dried pine shavings still have some oils but it's much less so in a space with ventilation it isn't noticeable to most people. The smaller the area and the more heat the more oils are released. In an incubator they could reach toxic levels.

7. thespinningcottage

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Okay - thanks for the great info. I guess in a natural setting, the broody hen would protect the chick and keep it next to her, sharing body heat and moisture. This sure is a complicated business!

8. barnyardbonanza

barnyardbonanza Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Benson
    I use the shelf liners too. They are cheap by the roll and also give the chicks/ducklings some traction to prevent slipping spradle legs after hatching. I also use it in the brooder with some fresh clean sand on top, just a little for scratching around in etc. Makes for easy clean up. Of course my brooders are big rubbermaid totes!

9. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Yep, shelf liners all the way! [​IMG]

Best of luck; keep us posted!

~Cherlyn

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    keep us posted! [​IMG]