Is it okay to have 2 Easter egger cockerels with 5 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gigi1147, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Hello Everyone! I was not sure where to put my question, so I apologize. Anyhow, I purchased 4 black sex link and 3 easter eggers at 5 days old, and now they are 3 months and 15 days old. I am worried because I have gotten really attached to my chickens, and about a month ago one of my chickens crowed. And about a week ago another one of my chickens crowed. It is okay to have two roosters with 5 hens? I cannot bear to lose any of them. So is it possible to have the two roosters with the 5 hens? They don't fight really at all. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Maybe. Given enough space for the less dominant to keep out of the dominant rooster's way, they may get along - there will be some fighting eventually. 2 roosters to 5 hens may result in overmating and possible injury of the hens. Have a plan 'B' in mind if it becomes necessary to relocate one of the roosters.

3. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    My concern would be that the hens would be saddled by the roosters too often causing stress that could lead to decreased production. If the roosters don't fight each other too much (this would also cause stress) I would consider keeping them. Just make sure the hens have plenty of room to walk and hiding places. I think it would be ideal if you sold one of your rooster though. I hope you figure it out!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would let them grow up. You will know at 5 months what they are going to look like, and if one turns mean or human aggressive, that will make your selection easier. I agree that the hens will be overmated. You can rotate the roosters in and out of the flock to prevent this, or you may find you will want more chickens later.

5. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    What a great excuse to buy more chickens!! Gotta keep it fair.

We ended up with 3 roosters & 8 hens. Because of how they were broken up in the brooder, we had 2 distinct harems & they all got along. It's not a problem until it is. Cross the bridge if it comes.

6. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    We are going to 'fix' one of them, and remove their spurs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by