Is it okay to keep 3 week old chicks outside?

sunnibunny99

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
East Texas! :)
We've made a chicken coop, it has a small house for them, and a fence around it, the fence is strong, i know none of them can get out.

In the house theres a heat lamp and pine shavings they can burrow in, we've kept them inside for their whole life, and my mom thinks its ok to leave them outside tonight.

They already have wing feathers and tail feathers and a few of them are growing their normal feathers already.

I just want to know its okay to leave them outside tonight, i know its safe outside and everything but im worried about warmth and everything
sad.png

Please help, its almost nighttime!

Sunni
smile.png

Okay, so your post is pretty much what mine would be- I have some more questions....
I will be putting my almost 4 wk old chicks outside (my first night ever having chicks) in their tractor, with a heat lamp,

should I make a bed for them on top of the grass, maybe in a box? They don't get the roost, I just have extreme predator paranoia
tongue.png

or maybe it isn't extreme? I don't know, I just don't want a rat to burrow under and nibble at them.
Any suggestions???

maybe make a fence or a hard-to-get-over perimeter around where you're keeping them, my dad's built a whole coop for mine so i don't know...

but its always good to be safe!

Back
Top Bottom