Is it okay to leave baby chicks over the weekend

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pauren34, Apr 20, 2011.

1. pauren34

pauren34 New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    I am new to this. I have 3 baby RIR. I need to go out of town over the weekend in a few weeks. The chicks will be about 3.5 weeks old by then. We would leave around 4pm Friday and be back about 4/5 pm Sunday. I am not sure if I need to find a chick sitter or if they will be okay for that time. They have a feeder and waterer that are large enough to stay filled for that time. I could clean the brooder right before we left. They are doing really good and this is my first time as a chick momma. I don't want to do anything to harm them.

Thoughts/advice?

2. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    do you have someone that can check on them once a day? i would worry that something might happen in that time. what if they spill the water or what if one of them gets sick?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I would find a chick sitter if it were me. Their water needs to be changed at least twice a day and the poop needs to be cleaned up. My girls poop a lot and they even poop in their water. Good luck.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Life goes on.

I leave chicks and hens alike. You setup for them, the best you can. I have mine setup so that we can leave them for up to three days. I cannot realistically be gone longer without enlisting a neighbor's help. But for three days, I can easily provide them multiple waterers and feed. They do just fine.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I do think it would be OK for a few days to leave them, but there are two things I would do:

#1, make sure they have a nice, sturdy waterer, that they can't knock over

#2, make sure they can't fly out of the brooder, because when they start getting a bit older, and you don't have some type of lid on the brooder, sometimes they are little escape artists, and then they can't get back in.......

I think if you do that, you'll be fine!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Eh, I think I worry way too much. lol

7. smcjoj3

smcjoj3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Rocky Point NC
    Quote:I think I'd be nervous about leaving littles for 3 days w/out someone to check in at least on Sat if it were me too.

8. pauren34

pauren34 New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    They can't knock over the water or food and there's a lid to the cage so they can't get out. Thank you for the advice. I will probably try to find someone to atleast check on them on Sat. I know I will be so worried about them either way. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by