Is it okay to let a broody hen sit on mixed eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Is it okay for a broody hen to sit on eggs that are 1/2 white rock and 1/2 light brahma? Has anyone had that mix before? what can i expect?

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I don't see why not. It won't change the breed of the chicken inside of the egg and she'll love them just the same. Also, it's a good set of test eggs to find out how broody she truly is.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It should be fine as long as all of the eggs started incubating at the same time.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    even broody hens have hatched ducks before [​IMG]

5. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    I've never had that combo before but my broody hatched out EVERYONE's eggs. I had a few combinations and she loved them and protected them all the same.

6. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    Quote:how about if there is like a 2 day difference? is there anyway to let the broody sit an extra 2 days to hatch the other eggs?

7. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    People keep bantys just to hatch eggs from other birds that won't sit. You just take out the ones to eat, and put others under them. That's what a lot of exotic bird breeders do too. Take out the society finch eggs, and put others under them. That way the other more expensive finches keep laying, and you still have some hatching. I use bantys to hatch goose and turkey eggs.

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If there is a 2 day difference in when the eggs began incubating then the chicks should hatch 24-48 hours after each other. Even with eggs that begin on the same day the chicks may hatch 12-24 hours apart. You might find that these chicks hatch closer together than 48 hours, which would be ideal.

You could either take out the first chicks to hatch & keep them in a brooder until the last ones hatch, or wait until most of the chicks hatch & put the remaining eggs in an incubator to hatch. Then you should be able to give the broody hen all the chicks to tend.

Let us know what happens with this family!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by