Is it okay to let chickens clean-up garden at end of season

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4luvofchickens, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Will thier manure age properly to be safe for next years garden since they will be pooping as they are eating? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am new to chickens, gardening and composting.

2. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Anyone??

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i think definitely let them do some cleanup - fertilizing. mine love veggies- squash,tomatoes,beans and after we pull most of it out at the end of season, they go in and clean up any bugs,worms,seeds,etc. we even clean the coop/run all winter and throw it on the garden.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup.. i let mine (and my pigs) in the garden at the end of every season...
    Its cleared out in a few days... [​IMG]

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    I fenced off my garden and run with a shared fence for that very reason. In the fall when I'm done with the garden, I open the run/garden "pop" door and let them in all fall/winter into spring till I'm ready to plant. They do a bangup job of cleaning tilling and fertilizer for me. See my BYC page for pics. And yes, I use the Coop's year long deep litter in the spring for the garden.

6. mangled

mangled Songster

We let the fence down and let the chickens have at the garden at the end of the year. I've found that the little bit of poop that they leave isn't harmful, we leave it open, they clean it out, and we till it right before the freeze. We dump the coops' contents before we till as well. Our garden has flourished this year, I really feel it's the chicken manure.

Do you use any type of pesticides, or anti-fungals or anything? We use all natural pest and weed control (DE, vinegar, beer, etc.), so there are no harmful chemicals in the garden. If you use pesticides, I'd say, it's probably not a good idea.

Good luck-
    Em

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    My grandparents used to live next door to a farm where they raised meat chickens. My grandfather would get chicken manure every fall to till into his garden. He said that the chicken poop was too "hot" for spring but it was great for the fall because it would break down over the fall and winter. He had a great vegetable garden every year.

8. mangled

mangled Songster

It is too "hot" to use in Spring. We till it in at the end of the season, and till again in the spring.

We've lived here 4 years, and our garden the first year was a DISMAL FAILURE. I couldn't even get beans to grow. We began tilling the manure in that fall, and each year our garden has improved. This year, which is the fourth year we've gardened, we've had a bumper crop. Even the potatoes grew. [​IMG]

We've added nothing else to the garden, as our compost pile is nothing but a buffet for the chickens. I attribute the garden's success solely to the chicken poo.

[​IMG]
    Em

9. jayne

jayne In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I always let mine..they love it and it helps with the garden for next year..saves work to LOL !!

10. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    The nitrogen level should be low enough by next planting season. It will be awesome when you till it all up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: