Is it okay to lockdown early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have some eggs that aer older than others. I think im going to lockdown on day 17. Is that bad for the other eggs? Some of them are completely black (when i candle) And some, i can see a few veins near the air cell. Is this okay for the others if i stop turning and increase humidity?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Well it depends how old the younger eggs are?

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    some are 1 day and some are 2

4. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    yes its ok in one thread i saw if you set Egg Group 1 on day 1 and egg group 2 on day 3, its okay to turn in the middle. one group gains a day, the other loses one. if theres a one day difference, even better (less disturbance)

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    What do you mean its okay to turn in the middle?

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    One thing I've learned in my short hatching history, is that much of what you see here is "best case scenario" advice. I've had temp spikes, times when after candling I forgot to plug the turner back in for a day (shared the same plug...), all kinds of things, and still had good hatches. The idea that a hen has a calendar and stops turning her eggs at a specific time on the clock seems a little silly, but I dunno...

7. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:lol sorry [​IMG]

Say you set an egg and start your incubation on day 1
    Say you set another egg and start that eggs incubation incubation on day 3 of calendar

So LockDown for Egg 1 is on day 18 of your bator schedule, and LD for Egg2 is on day 20.
    Its okay to stop turning them both on day 19. One egg gains a day, the other loses one. it doesnt really matter much this far into development.

OTHER EXAMPLE

Say you set another egg and start you incubation on day 2

So LockDown for Egg 1 is on day 18 of your bator schedule, and LD for Egg2 is on day 19.
    Its okay to stop turning them both on day 18 OR 19. A one day difference makes a small change and wont affect the chick this far into development

8. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:lol sorry [​IMG]

Say you set another egg and start that eggs incubation incubation on day 3 of calendar

So LockDown for Egg 1 is on day 18 of your bator schedule, and LD for Egg2 is on day 20.
    Its okay to stop turning them both on day 19. One egg gains a day, the other loses one. it doesnt really matter much this far into development.

OTHER EXAMPLE

Say you set another egg and start you incubation on day 2

So LockDown for Egg 1 is on day 18 of your bator schedule, and LD for Egg2 is on day 19.
    Its okay to stop turning them both on day 18 OR 19. A one day difference makes a small change and wont affect the chick this far into development

Thank you very much!!
    What aboout 2 days early?

9. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:Errr.... i would avoid it if you can. Try candling and compare them to the candling page here. if they seem to be on time/ahead in chick development, it might be fine. what i mean is if your chick is on day 16 and looks like it should be day 18, (whoa fast growin chick!!) then you may turn them. If your chicks seem to not be ready for lockdown, i would avoid doing it.
    if you have an empty brooder prepared move the first eggs in there and just keep the temp @ 101F and leave the other eggs to be turned until you take them out. i usually move my almost-done chickens to the brooder because chirping from other chicks apparently encourages the ones in eggs to pip and zip faster.

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I dont have a brooder!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by