Is it okay to separate male ducks from female ducks during mating season?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 3ducks118, Feb 8, 2015.

1. 3ducks118

3ducks118 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    I have 2 pekin ducks and 1 mallard
    Only one of the pekings is a girl and the other two keep trying to drown her and attack her on the ground I don't Want to take her away from her family that she has grown up with but I also fear the other two (especially the mallard) will kill her...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Drowning as a result of gang breeding is a frequent cause of death in ducks. If she were mine, I would separate her from one or both of the drakes to assure that she was not killed or injured.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I wouldn't separate her for a long time - ducks are flock animals and they need company. That said, what you are seeing is overbreeding and can be dangerous to her and you may want to separate her until you can fix the problem. You should either find a new home for one of the males or get more females. Ducks should be kept in pairs at the least since otherwise males can injure or hurt or drown females by overbreeding them. The best ratio is 3-4 females to each male. So in your case you might want to split her out for her own safety until you can get more girls or find a new home for one of the males, but that won't be a long term solution. They are very social and can pine themselves to death if they are alone. They just stop eating and let themselves die. Unfortunately in domestic ducks the breeding season is practically all year long - this was done so that they would lay more eggs and more could be hatched for meat. So breeding season can easily be nine months out of the year with domestic breeds like pekins, and you definitely shouldn't be keeping her alone for that long.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separation can take the form of a wire divider through the middle of their pen. That way they can see one another, and your duck can be safe. In my opinion better safe than injured or dead.

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

This would work! Don't know why I didn't think of it :)

6. 3ducks118

3ducks118 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015

I got them a clear fence to put down the middle of their pen I don't want to get rid of any of them so if I get more females I can out them all together again?

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You should be able to but you'll want to watch them just in case at first, and you'll want to have the new arrivals separate for a while so that they can see the others but not interact for a bit, because if you just toss them all in together right away there will probably be fighting. There could still be some scuffling even when let together after having them separate but able to see each other for a while, but it won't be as bad. Eventually they should merge into one group but at first they might stick to their own groups. Ideally you would add five to seven new females, but even if you can only add two or three it would help a bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by