Is it (or isn't it) fowl pox?

Apr 9, 2020
Hello all,

I am seeking some help regarding a chicken that has had a skin issue for approximately one month.

Our Araucana (1-year-old; 1.4kg) has one new pustule on her face, one pox mark which is healing (and scabbing over). She previously had one pox mark near her eye (see image) which was very slow to heal. She has been isolated with these very few marks for about one month now.

She is not laying, and we have noticed some intermittent diarrhea (which seems to have resolved). Her behaviour is otherwise very normal (i.e., eating, drinking, scratching around and preening as per normal). She shows no other signs of injury and the inside of her mouth looks very good. Our other birds are not exhibiting these symptoms (thankfully).

Symptoms first appeared simultaneously with respiratory illness after heavy rains that left our deep litter run perpetually damp and a breeding ground for mites (now resolved). We think these poor conditions may have triggered various ailments in our birds.

As of two weeks ago, we have treated the Araucana (internally and externally) with diatomaceous earth (for mites) Linco-spectin (an antibiotic prescribed for the flock by a vet) for respiratory problems, kilverm wormer (as a matter of routine) and amprolium (as a preventative).

We would love to be able to remedy this issue ourselves without further visits to the vet. This could be fowl pox, but I would have expected more than three of these pustules to have appeared in the space of one month. Also, they don’t seem to have the characteristic fowl pox appearance (from what I can tell).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Matthew

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

Hello all,

I am seeking some help regarding a chicken that has had a skin issue for approximately one month.

Our Araucana (1-year-old; 1.4kg) has one new pustule on her face, one pox mark which is healing (and scabbing over). She previously had one pox mark near her eye (see image) which was very slow to heal. She has been isolated with these very few marks for about one month now.

She is not laying, and we have noticed some intermittent diarrhea (which seems to have resolved). Her behaviour is otherwise very normal (i.e., eating, drinking, scratching around and preening as per normal). She shows no other signs of injury and the inside of her mouth looks very good. Our other birds are not exhibiting these symptoms (thankfully).

Symptoms first appeared simultaneously with respiratory illness after heavy rains that left our deep litter run perpetually damp and a breeding ground for mites (now resolved). We think these poor conditions may have triggered various ailments in our birds.

As of two weeks ago, we have treated the Araucana (internally and externally) with diatomaceous earth (for mites) Linco-spectin (an antibiotic prescribed for the flock by a vet) for respiratory problems, kilverm wormer (as a matter of routine) and amprolium (as a preventative).

We would love to be able to remedy this issue ourselves without further visits to the vet. This could be fowl pox, but I would have expected more than three of these pustules to have appeared in the space of one month. Also, they don’t seem to have the characteristic fowl pox appearance (from what I can tell).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Matthew

View attachment 2082694

View attachment 2082700
I don’t seem to see much of anything. I don’t think she has fowl pox.

Does not appear to be fowl pox, usually that presents as black spots, not blisters. One side of your hen's face has what appears to be blisters, but the other side (where you see white nodules) looks more like pus, perhaps from a blistered area that became infected. Chicken pus is not runny like human pus, it's a doughy, cheesy substance and will need assistance to come out. Have you considered puncturing the creamy white one with a sterilized large diaper pin, or lancing it with a razor or scalpel? You only need a large enough hole so that when you apply pressure to it (like you would a blackhead or cyst), that the pus can exit (remember, it won't be liquid) . A little triple antibiotic ointment on the wound afterward ought to do the trick. As for the cause of the blisters... can't say for sure, but allergy or insect bites come to mind. I swell up like that with blisters from ant or mosquito bites, and your girl might too.

Thank you all! This is all very helpful. I did try and lance the pustule yesterday (as per Tycine's suggestion) but it was very difficult to coax anything out of it (except blood), so I'll see if it heals over this week. I do think it is getting better... It must have been a very mild case of the pox if that is in fact what it is.

P.S. No dawg, there's no foul smell in the nose.

:)

Back
Top Bottom