Is it over for this little egg!!!???!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jojosthings, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jojosthings

jojosthings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Hey, I don't know if I'm doing this right I'm a first timer on all counts!!! I have 2 buff orps sitting really well on 1/2 dozen eggs. Theyre on day 6 now. Problem is they wouldn't be moved so they've set up camp in the nest boxes of my coup, which means their nests are very shallow! I've gone out a couple of times and found an egg or 2 had rolled out! Assumed coz they were cold they would've died but no!! Candled a good few yesterday and all the ones I pulled out were really healthy viable eggs!!! [​IMG] But today same thing one little egg not in the nest and stone cold!!! [​IMG] I thought maybe she'd pushed it out coz it was dud but no! When I checked it it had a really good veiny tiny embryo in there! I've put it in the bator incase she wouldn't take it back cold.... Will it have died!!!??!! this is my first time and I'm a nervous parent!! Lol [​IMG] any help would be so appreciated![​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've had broody hens misplace eggs that continued developing and hatching fine, even though some of those eggs were stone cold by the time I found them and one even got rained on. Chick embryos are tough little things. Slip the egg back under the broody and see if you can make the nests a bit deeper, add some more nesting materials? Good luck with the hatch!

3. jojosthings

Aug 15, 2013
    Awesome thank you! my hearts literally in my mouth every time they get up for a drink! Ha ha!! :)

4. jojosthings

Aug 15, 2013
    That's so good to hear!! The girls got up to stretch their legs so I went to put the egg back and found one of my other hens pecking her eggs! This one was obviously live [​IMG] she only broke one but still gutted!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by